Join us on Saturday, Sept. 14th for a free community presentation titled “Staying Positive with Parkinson’s”! The event will take place at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church located at 1700 N. Meridian Road, Tallahassee, FL 32303 from 9:30 AM – Noon. An optional complimentary lunch will follow the presentations. Please RSVP to Sweat Therapy Fitness (RSVP@SweatTherapyFitness.com) or call 850.222.1781. Admission is complimentary but a reservation is strongly suggested.
The program includes:
• Presentation and Q&A by neuropsychologist Dawn Bowers Ph.D; who currently sees patients and conducts research at the Cognitive Neuroscience Lab in the University of Florida’s Fixel Institute of Neurological Diseases
• Presentation and Q&A by Terry Ward, Ph.D., ATP, CAPS, RET; who specializes in accessible housing and independent living technology
• Panel discussion featuring Tallahassee residents living with PD
• Opportunity to network with Rock Steady Boxing Head Coach and Sweat Therapy Fitness Owner/ Founder Kim Bibeau
• Vendor tables featuring resources for those with Parkinson’s Disease
• Opportunity to socialize with others in the Parkinson’s community
• Optional complimentary lunch
The goal of Staying Positive With Parkinson’s is to bring awareness to the mental health issues that often accompany PD and provide individuals, caregivers and families with everyday strategies to reduce depression, apathy and anxiety. Dr. Bowers will take a clinical approach by sharing the signs of depression, apathy and anxiety in those with PD and provide strategies to reduce symptoms and improve quality of life. Dr. Ward will use his biomechanical expertise to provide tips for creating a home environment which supports positive mental health by fostering independence and security.
In addition to hearing from experts, the program includes a panel discussion featuring Tallahassee residents living with PD. Panelists will share personal stories and answer audience questions.
This event is part of Sweat Therapy’s biannual speaker series; a community outreach arm of their Rock Steady Boxing program, which helps those with PD fight their symptoms through non-contact, boxing-based group fitness.
To RSVP to Staying Positive with Parkinson’s, email RSVP@sweattherapyfitness.com or call 850.222.1781. Admission is complimentary but a reservation is strongly suggested.