The Parkinson’s Outreach Association, Inc. (POA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a mission to promote awareness for Parkinson’s disease and provide local support, information, education and advocacy for people in the greater Tallahassee community affected by Parkinson’s disease, including their caregivers, family and friends.
- The Parkinson’s Awareness Choir was founded around the nucleus of a few people in Tallahassee with Parkinson’s who learned that singing was beneficial to retention of voice strength, volume and intonation. Perhaps even more importantly, they soon realized that the bonds of friendship and mutual support were key to remaining positive and proactive when faced with a Parkinson’s diagnosis.
- Thereafter, the North Florida Parkinson’s Awareness Group, Inc. (NFPAG) was formed and incorporated as a nonprofit in 2005.
- In 2011, the NFPAG became affiliated with the National Parkinson’s Foundation (NPF). As a result, the NFPAG changed its name and became known as the National Parkinson Foundation North Florida Chapter, Inc. (NPFNF).
- In order to focus all of its resources exclusively on providing services to the greater Tallahassee Parkinson’s community, the NPFNF decided to no longer be affiliated with the National Parkinson’s Foundation (NPF) in 2015. The NPFNF once again became an independent nonprofit organization and changed its name to the Parkinson’s Outreach Association, Inc. (POA).
- The Parkinson’s Outreach Association, Inc. (POA) currently provides
programs such as:
– Parkinson’s Awareness Choir
– Art Therapy
– Ageless Grace® exercise program
– Support groups for people with Parkinson’s and caregivers of people with Parkinson’s
– Seminars on a variety of subjects related to Parkinson’s
- In order to support the programs mentioned above, the POA has two major fundraisers:
– The Tulip Trot
– The Parkinson’s Wellness Expo
- Th POA has an Administrative Director and a Board of Directors that meet monthly, in addition to having committees that meet periodically as needed.
The POA currently provides programs including:
Parkinson’s Awareness Choir
The North Florida Parkinson’s Awareness Choir is an opportunity for all members of the Parkinson’s community to raise their voices in song. One of the many symptoms of Parkinson’s is a decrease of vocal quality, as the disease can affect articulation, breath support, and volume. Being a choir member addresses all these factors and provides an opportunity to socialize with those affected by Parkinson’s disease while performing for members of the greater Tallahassee community.
The POA aims to teach people in North Florida about Parkinson’s disease through seminars so that they may be able to recognize early warning signs, feel supported in their decision to seek medical treatment and are provided with outstanding emotional, physical and mental support.
People with Parkinson’s Support Group
We invite and encourage anyone on this journey, including people with Parkinson’s as well as their caregivers and families, to call our office and find out how, when and where to get connected with an amazing group of people who will be more than happy to welcome you into our Parkinson’s family.
Ageless Grace® Exercise Program
Ageless Grace® is a cutting-edge brain fitness program based on the science of neuroplasticity, which activates all five functions of the brain – strategic planning, analytical thinking, kinesthetic learning, memory/recall, and creativity and imagination – while simultaneously addressing all 21 physical skills, or Tools, needed for lifelong optimal function.
In order to support the programs mentioned above, the POA has two major fundraisers: