We hope you will come join us at one of our signature fundraising events to support our local Parkinson’s community. Whether you walk with us at our Parkinson’s Wellness Expo, run in the Tulip Trot 5K race, or attend an educational seminar, together we can improve the lives of those impacted by Parkinson’s disease.
The Parkinson’s Outreach Association (POA) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization with a mission to promote awareness for Parkinson’s disease and provide local support, information, education, and advocacy for people in the greater Tallahassee community affected by Parkinson’s disease, including their caregivers, family and friends. There are more than 700 people with Parkinson’s disease believed to be living in the Tallahassee area alone, but nearly half of them are not receiving treatment or support. The reasons for this may vary, but our organization believes that a lack of understanding about Parkinson’s disease may be part of the cause.
Check back soon for more information on our October fundraising activities!
The POA aims to provide access to research and resources for people in North Florida to better understand Parkinson’s disease so that they may be able to recognize early warning signs, feel supported in their decision to seek medical treatment and are provided with outstanding emotional, physical and mental support. View all resources
- MICHAEL J FOX FOUNDATION – Dedicated to finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease through funded research and ensuring the development of improved therapies for those living with Parkinson’s. https://www.michaeljfox.org/
- AMERICAN PARKINSON’S DISEASE ASSOCIATION – Founded in 1961, APDA is the nation’s largest grassroots network dedicated to assist the more than 1 million Americans living with Parkinson’s. https://www.apdaparkinson.org/
- U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES, REGARDING PARKINSON’S – Offers information on Parkinson’s disease, research, predicting cognitive deficits and dysfunction, deep brain stimulation, genetic testing and more. Visit website
- PARKINSON’S FOUNDATION – The Parkinson Foundation and the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation have joined forces to become the Parkinson’s Foundation. https://www.parkinsonsfoundation.org
- DAVIS PHINNEY FOUNDATION – Offers inspiration, education, and wellness resources as well as online webinars, DVDs, and other educational tools. https://www.davisphinneyfoundation.org/
- MELVIN WEINSTEIN PARKINSON FOUNDATION – A not-for-profit organization that helps people with Parkinson’s live safe and independently by obtaining equipment and other needs when one cannot afford it. http://www.mwpf.org/